Hardball airs tonight on MSNBC at 7p, 11p & 4a ET & 4p, 8p & 1a PT  Find MSNBC on your
TV http://www.msnbc.com/CableOperator.asp

Tonight we lead with the most explosive piece of journalism coming out of Washington
this week: Sy Hersh's New Yorker story which suggests that the roots of the scandal
lay in a decision approved last year by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to expand a
classified operation for aggressive interrogations to Iraqi prisoners, a program that
had been focused on the hunt for al-Qaida terrorists.

Newsweek is also reporting that a memo from White House Counsel Alberto Gonzales to
President Bush as far back at Jan. '02 said that the war on terror "renders obsolete
Geneva's strict limitations on questioning of enemy prisoners and renders quaint some
of its provisions."

Secretary of State Colin Powell conceded yesterday that  there were high-level
discussions within the Bush administration last fall about information from the
International Committee of the Red Cross alleging inmate abuse at the U.S.-run Abu
Ghraib prison in Iraq.

It's gettin' Stinky around here folks...

We've got Sy for two blocks after an "as live" from Bahgdad with Carl Rochelle

Sy Hersh piece http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040524fa_fact

Newsweek piece http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4989422/

Powell Piece
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PRISONER_ABUSE?SITE=MSJAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

We'll also talk to the father & lawyer for Spc. Javal Davis, one of those accused of
abusive behavior at the prison...

We round out the show with the politics of Iraq, new polls and gay marriage with Tony
& Howard

Tony's latest: Don't Resign, Mr. Rumsfeld
http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/tblankley.htm

Briefing subscriber and Communications Director for Hobart & William Smith Colleges
Susan Hubard checks in with a dispatch from Chris' commencement address yesterday in
Geneva, NY...."As Mark Gearan stated in his Valedictory address, "Do you realize how
long I have waited to have the last word on Chris Matthews? Can you imagine the joy I
have in knowing that Chris just has to sit there while I have the last word?" Brought
a big laugh from Chris and applause from the assembled crowd.  The students really
enjoyed Chris' speech - they were very responsive to him - I believe all beach-ball
tossing halted while he was delivering his "five bits of advice"! It was a gorgeous
day and a great event." Speech verbate
http://www.hws.edu/news/speakers/transcripts/matthewscomm2004.asp

>From the Briefing Mailbag

"I went up to L.A. today and did the commercial for MSNBC.  It was fun.  I put in a
plug for The Briefing.  Hope I don't end up on the cutting room floor.  Keep your
fingers crossed."

Nancy from Laguna Beach, CA

That's great Nancy!  We hope you make it to air too.  Thanks for reading and watching!
 -DB

Fun Quote of the Day

"The chattering class has talked about the possibility of me becoming secretary of
state," Biden told the National Association of Police Organizations on Wednesday.
"That's something I would consider doing. But I would not consider being vice
president. That's as honest as I can be about that."  (Delaware News Journal)
http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/local/2004/05/15secretaryjoebidhtml

Hmmm...The Briefing wonders just who are these members of the 'chattering class' that
Biden refers to?

Dominic Bellone wrote compiled and edited The Hardball Briefing from Washington, DC

Iraq Council leader killed...The head of Iraqi Governing Council was killed Monday in
a car bombing near a U.S. checkpoint in central Baghdad, an Iraqi official said.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4899904/

A roadside bomb containing sarin nerve agent exploded near a U.S. military convoy, the
U.S. military said Monday. Two people were treated for "minor exposure," but no
serious injuries were reported. (AP)
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ_SARIN?SITE=MSJAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Abuse inquiry shifts focus...The focus of the Iraq prisoner abuse scandal shifted
Sunday with a report in Newsweek magazine on whether the Bush administration
established a legal basis that opened the door for the mistreatment.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4855930/

Powell: Pre-war intel on Iraq labs was 'inaccurate'...Some information said
'deliberately' misleading http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4997766/

Gay marriages begin in Mass...Same-sex couples will legally exchange vows Monday when
Massachusetts becomes the first U.S. state to allow gay marriage, an election-year
milestone likely to fuel legal and political battles nationwide.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4991967/

Bush, Kerry head to Topeka...President Bush and rival John Kerry are marking 50 years
of school integration at the symbolic home of the movement, celebrating at separate
events what became a turning point in national race relations. (AP)
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4997775/

Bush's Job Approval Drops to Record Low 42%; Kerry Up By 5 Points Over Bush 47%-42%;
Iraq Disapproval Rate Rises to 64%; Majority Says US Headed in the Wrong Direction and
 "It's Time for Someone New" New Zogby International Poll Reveals
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=826

Bush advises graduates to do good in the world...In visit to Mo., president raises
millions of dollars (AP) http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4952734/

Kerry vows to toughen trade deals...Democratic hopeful speaks at Teamsters meeting
(AP) http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4993636/

A conservative grassroots organization is launching a petition drive to force Sen.
John F. Kerry to resign his seat - claiming he missed a key vote last week due to his
presidential campaigning. (The Boston Herald)
http://news.bostonherald.com/election2004/view.bg?articleid=28032

Some U.S. troops in S. Korea may go to Iraq...Pentagon request confirmed, figure of
4,000 reported (AP) http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4997741/

The Decent Thing...America's tough tactics have miffed the British, who have a softer
post conflict style (Newsweek) http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4988024/

Powell scolds aide after interview interrupted...'I don't think that's appropriate,'
host Tim Russert says (MSNBC) http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4992866/

Michael Moore admitted Sunday that his "Fahrenheit 9/11" still does not have a distrib
-- "Maybe some distributors are afraid of the film" -- but vowed the film must open in
the U.S. before the election. "George W. Bush has to be removed from office," he
declared. (Variety)
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1940&u=/variety/20040516/va_fi_ne/fest_s_fave_pest_beats_the_drums&printer=1

Sopranos: Checking the weekly body count...A roundup of the deaths, marriages, great
lines, fashion flubs and other "Sopranos" factoids. By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4484198/

Opinion/Editorial

The Washington Times: Bush's conservative support...The liberal media has been hard at
work trying to persuade Americans that President Bush is in trouble with his
conservative base of voters.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20040516-102448-5881r.htm

Howard: Political winds are favoring Kerry...Democrat intends to ride Iraq hurricane
into office http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4961687/

Barnicle: U.S. touch is unmistakable in weary Iraq
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/193695p-167421c.html

Charley Reese on Iraq: Better to be Children
http://reese.king-online.com/Reese_20040517/index.php

Ilana: The City on a Hill goes to Sodom
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38492

Vest: Implausible Denial...The Pentagon's Stephen Cambone claims he's out of the loop.
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20040531&s=vest

Landfield: McGreevey's Reality Show: 'Who Wants to Tax a Millionaire?'
http://www.practicalpolitics.net/landfield/5_14_04.html

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19

http://privacy.msn.com