Hardball airs on MSNBC at 7p, 11p & 4a ET & 4p, 8p & 1a PT  Find MSNBC on your
TV http://www.msnbc.com/CableOperator.asp  MSNBC also is on your XM satellite
radio on channel 130

We lead with the Middle East agreement cut this morning in Sharm El-Sheik,
Egypt by Abbas and Sharon...We'll tackle that and other pressing foreign and
domestic policy issues with Senators Chuck Hagel (R-NE) and Jay Rockefeller
(D-WV)..

Afterwards we turn to AEI's Michael Ledeen
(http://www.aei.org/news/filter.,newsID.21941/news_detail.asp) and fmr.
Clinton-era State Department counselor Wendy Sherman about Iran and all the
saber rattling in that part of the world...Is it next on the Neocon hit list?

We'll do a political potpourri with former NY Republican Rep. Susan Molinari
and Marie Cocco from Newsday...We've got the Rove news (below), the Galllup
poll and Dean's ascendancy to head the DNC...And oh yeah, Shuster's got a
package on the Reid/White House spat!

And this just in to the Hardball News Room (or should I say "our messy group of
cubicles"): Aboard Air Force One Scott McClellan announced that Karl Rove will
be expanding his portfolio at the White House. He will become Deputy Chief of
Staff in addition to retaining his title as Senior Advisor....He will
coordinate policy between four councils including the National Security Council
and National Economic Council.  The White House is quick to point that Rove
will not be running foreign policy
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=IK3TZVEINCHWWCRBAEKSFFA?type=politicsNews&storyID=7570943

Drudge actually broke the story so we must give him a shout out...

Cocco Backgrounder: Social Security and the oxymorons
http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vpcoc084138297feb08,0,5424467.column?coll=ny-viewpoints-headlines

We finish off with the author of a new book titled "102 Minutes : The Untold
Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers"...Very moving portrait of
that fateful day...

Pls join us., Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Hardball Briefing
from Washington, DC

U.S. military: Baghdad blast kills at least 21...Kurdish ticket in 2nd place in
Iraq (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6913272/

Sharon, Abbas declare truce at Mideast summit...Leaders pledge to end violence,
enter new era of peace talks (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6906348/

Rice, Italian minister meet after Mideast foray...Top diplomat holds talks in
Rome...U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice bids farewell to her Turkish
counterpart Abdullah Gul Sunday before her departure to Israel from Esenboga
Airport in Ankara (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6911810/

Americans give President Bush his highest job-approval rating in more than a
year and show cautious optimism about Iraq in a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll taken
shortly after historic Iraqi elections. (USA Today)
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20050208/a_poll08.art.htm

Congress unlikely to embrace Bush wish list...Experts say cuts in many domestic
programs may be unrealistic (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6930418/

Roemer bows out of DNC race, with a warning to Democrats...Last challenger to
Howard Dean calls for more focus on values (AP)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6929889/

In a move that will give impetus to US President George W. Bush's policy to
spread world freedom and end tyranny, lawmakers are drafting legislation to set
up a specific office in the State Department to spread democracyIn a move that
will give impetus to US President George W. Bush's policy to spread world
freedom and end tyranny, lawmakers are drafting legislation to set up a
specific office in the State Department to spread democracy, officials say.
(AFP)
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1530&u=/afp/20050207/wl_asia_afp/usasiademocracy&printer=1

A CNN Executive Says G.I.s in Iraq Target Journalists (NY Sun)
http://www.nysun.com/article/8866

Sen. John F. Kerry, who as a presidential candidate railed against companies
shifting their addresses overseas to avoid taxes, has hired as a top tax
counsel a woman who lobbied against cracking down on such businesses on behalf
of a Bermuda-based firm.  (Boston Herald)
http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view.bg?articleid=67436

Rush & Molloy: President Bush still feels the fire for his First Lady. The man
can't keep his hands off her - even in church.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/278742p-238829c.html

Opinion/Editorial

To Be Chalabi, or Not To Be...This Syrian exile wants to overthrow another evil
Baathist dictator. How can he persuade the U.S. to help him?
http://slate.msn.com/id/2113160/

Margolis: The Pentagon's New Armies of the Night
http://www.ericmargolis.com/archives/2005/02/the_pentagonas.php

Katrina: Bush's Budget and "Wounded Travelers"...The Center for Community
Change launches its "Jericho" campaign.
http://www.thenation.com/edcut/index.mhtml?bid=7&pid=2180

Bowden: When Officers Aren't Gentlemen...NCOs will be the backbone of the new
Iraqi army. http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110006264

Vest: PNAC's Happy Warriors
http://www.thenation.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20050221&s=vest

O'Sullivan: IRA's hint of violence most likely just a bluff
http://www.suntimes.com/output/osullivan/cst-edt-osul08.html

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19

http://privacy.msn.com