Fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney (R-MA) has been forced to backpedal twice this week on
his involvement in the Civil Rights movement and his support from the National
Rifle Association. Hardball's David Shuster will report on the reaction from
Iowa and then we'll hear from Romney spokesman, Kevin Madden.

With polls showing a tight three-way race for Iowa's 2008 caucus, Sen. Hillary
Clinton (D-NY)'s campaign operatives haved upped the ante this week and lobbed
negative attacks against Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL). Is this fair play? We'll
have on campaign surrogates from each of the three frontrunners to discuss.

Next, fmr. Pres. Bill Clinton is known as one of the most talented politicians
of his generation, but does his tour on the '08 campaign trail help or hurt his
wife's candidacy? We'll hear from Hardball's husband-and-wife team, Georgetown
Prof. Michael Eric Dyson and social commentator Marcia Dyson.

Plus, what does fmr. Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) have to say about teen star
Jamie Lynn Spears' pregnancy? And why did Gov. Bill Richardson (D-NM) call up a
New York Times reporter?

We'll take a look at these stories and and recap the week in our roundtable
discussion with the National Journal's Ron Brownstein, MSNBC's Pat Buchanan and
CQ's Craig Crawford.

For the latest on all of today's political news, go to the best political
website www.politics.msnbc.com, powered by NBC News and the National Journal.
And, don't forget to check out NBC's "First Read" and MSNBC.com's political
calendar.

Vidhya Murugesan compiled the "Hardball Briefing" from Washington, D.C.