I am not following your reasoning Greg.  Can you provide an example?

Greg Woodhouse wrote:
Another thing to watch out for is recursive calls. With the scoping
works in MUMPS it seems to me that the only safe option is to copy
parameter values into NEW variables (so that you have a separate copy
in each stack frame). Otherwise, things might not work as you expect.

--- Greg Woodhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In fact, I recall creating a special lookup routine that called ^DIC
--
except that I neglected to include the "I" flag for ignore special
lookup routine. Needless to say, the result was "interesting".

--- Greg Kreis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It can happen with repeatedly performing a DO command to any
location.
Anything that is putting new entries on the stack frame without
eventually removing them.  The stack on DSM or Cache can probably
handle
300+ entries, so it never overflows with legitimate logic.  ;-)

Greg Woodhouse wrote:

It means there was an intepreter stack overflow. :-)

Actually, I think you got into an infinite loop making repeated

routine

calls (each of which requires the allocation of a new stack frame,
which contains such details as NEW variables and the return

address).

--- "Naik, Chintan (EDS)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Anyone know what this error means?

%DSM-E-STKOVR, Interpreter stack overflow

Thanks,

Chintan Naik
Health System Design & Development
* (972)-796-2414 - (Plano - Tue, Wed, Thu)
* (817)-798-0546 - (Dallas OIFO - Mon, Fri)
*    Fax:   (972)-796-6181
* mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow

and

his orphan... Abraham Lincoln

Enrollment Systems Group... Where VA Health Care Begins!

Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real
users.
Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading

now.

=====
A practical man is a man who practices the errors of his

forefathers. --Benjamin Disraeli

====
Greg Woodhouse