For clarity, Unison, rsync, or any technique that copies files or parts
of files when the database is in use will not work very well, and the
copy will be corrupt.  This is because GT.M is constantly updating the
database when it is in use (unless you freeze updates).

Let's separate the two issues under consideration.  One is to get a copy
of the database and journal files (backup), and the other is moving
backups to offline storage (archival).

Backup when there is no active GT.M process is trivial - just copy the
database files (unison, rsync and other techniques will work).  There
are (at least) two ways to backup when GT.M processes are active.  One
is to use mupip backup and the other involves using a mirrored disk.
(Promotional moment: attend my workshop in the Boston area on April 6
for hands-on training on backup - it's free but you have to RSVP!)

There are many options for archival, as discussed in this thread.

-- Bhaskar