> However, I believe the fundamental issue is less a technical matter and more
> an natural 'tension' between concerns for operational
> effectiveness--delivery of quality health care, and the interest in
> administrative IT that arises from management.  These two groups in most any
> enterprise you may choose to study are chronically in a state of 'conflict'
> due their different priorities and requirements for IT, and information
> management architecture.

If I may interject

This is a fundemental error that I've seen pertetrated for years now.

There is no conflict between IT and archetectural concerns and usability.
Human usability is simply part of the scientific theory and technology of every
other scientific part of computer system design.  As clearly that you wouldn't
let
a patient perform surgury on themselves, it is equally just as certain that
implimentation should never be in the hands of non-computer science engineers.

It is simply irresponsible.

There is no tension between the IT professionals and the users.  There is just
ignorance of the users to think they know what they need better than the Ph.D's
and
Masters of Comp Sci, and the bigotry of the IT professionals who refuse to learn
anything about human interface design.  Such IT professionals, BTW, are almost
always
not Comp Sci majors (or those old enough to have gotten in on the ground floor
prior
to it being wildly available as a schooling option).

I've been a proponent of serious non-bias Comp Sci education in high school
education and
within the university setting.  Unfortanelty, this is almost as hard as getting
non-bias
drug information today.  However, it's ridicules for people without an IT
background to
make serious assertions about product design without a clue about the serious
implications
to design and implementation.

Tell us what your symptoms are, and we can help you.  Dictate the cure and
you'll be on the
fast tract to an early and painful grave.

Ruben

--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions

proportions in the mind of the world  - RI Safir 1998

http://fairuse.nylxs.com

http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.inns.net <-- Happy Clients
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive or stories and