Perhaps I should wait and read all of the responses before responding, but Ruben, I am sure you have missed the point that Richard Davis was making. The conflict he refers to is not between IT professionals and the end users, but a conflict between two classes of users: managers of the organization and employees who provide the services to the customers of the organization.

Jim Gray

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ruben Safir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 10:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] == VistaWeb Missing Apps ==

However, I believe the fundamental issue is less a technical matter and more
an natural 'tension' between concerns for operational
effectiveness--delivery of quality health care, and the interest in
administrative IT that arises from management. These two groups in most any enterprise you may choose to study are chronically in a state of 'conflict'
due their different priorities and requirements for IT, and information
management architecture.

If I may interject

This is a fundemental error that I've seen pertetrated for years now.

There is no conflict between IT and archetectural concerns and usability.
Human usability is simply part of the scientific theory and technology of every other scientific part of computer system design. As clearly that you wouldn't let a patient perform surgury on themselves, it is equally just as certain that implimentation should never be in the hands of non-computer science engineers.

It is simply irresponsible.

There is no tension between the IT professionals and the users. There is just ignorance of the users to think they know what they need better than the Ph.D's and Masters of Comp Sci, and the bigotry of the IT professionals who refuse to learn anything about human interface design. Such IT professionals, BTW, are almost always not Comp Sci majors (or those old enough to have gotten in on the ground floor prior
to it being wildly available as a schooling option).

I've been a proponent of serious non-bias Comp Sci education in high school education and within the university setting. Unfortanelty, this is almost as hard as getting non-bias drug information today. However, it's ridicules for people without an IT background to make serious assertions about product design without a clue about the serious implications
to design and implementation.

Tell us what your symptoms are, and we can help you. Dictate the cure and you'll be on the
fast tract to an early and painful grave.

Ruben

--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions

proportions in the mind of the world  - RI Safir 1998

http://fairuse.nylxs.com

http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.inns.net <-- Happy Clients
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive or stories and articles from around the net