I want to address a cautionary mantra gaining bandwidth on other EHR lists.

"One size does not fit all."
I would like feed back on two hypotheses:
1. Mass customization creates a new era of market leadership.
2. Anyone who can effectively use MS Access, and Excel, can learn FileMan.
Basis:
As a non-programmer building FileMan apps for several years, all this
playing around with code raises my awareness to that oft quoted caution.
The mantra is often put forth interlacing caution that what works fine for
one practice, has no place in another. Such discussions, espoused by vendors
and (former vendor) designers advising organizations, seem oriented to
admonish physicians to stick to VENDORS as their resource for EHR.

I recall the 70's when service bureau programmers told me a request would
cost (1975) $60,000. When I tricked the computer into filling my request I
realized there is a certain need of vendors to find chargeable events to
justify their existence (all I wanted was a patient count). That is when I
began looking to ownership of hardware and software.

"One size does not fit all."  This seems a throwback to that time in the
70's when vendors sought control. When we look at VistA today, we see it
effectively deployed in numerous environments, Veterans nationwide
application, psych hospitals, veterinary hospital, primary care private
practice, OccMed private practice, and the Hardhats list is legend.

All this speaks to me of the effectiveness of FM in mass customization.
Indian Health Services has taken it and advanced the product with additions
and modifications. How can we better describe VistA than "designed for
leadership in mass customization"?

Thanks,
thurman