Gregory Woodhouse wrote:
>it is all too easy
>to write a process that spends a significant amount of its time
>actually polling globals for a "stop flag" or something similar. If
>this is done thoughtlessly, it can bring a system to its knees, and any
>practical implementation is going to have to throttle this process back
>enough so that it consumes only a small percentage of processing time
>(and, potentially, direct I/O).

This is a non-issue in MUMPS implementations that I have worked with in recent
years, even
a HANG of only one second in such a loop is sufficient to prevent it from
consuming
significant processing time while idle.

This seems to me like a perfectly acceptable way of handling background tasks
that do
things like printing reports or periodically scanning the database for
inconsistencies or
medical alert conditions or gathering errors and special events from the logs,
not system
to system communications.