Thanks – Dumb! I wasn’t carrying it far enough and creating a downstream file for the pointer…./t

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Cameron Schlehuber
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 9:22 PM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Hardhats-members] Pointers and keys

If your TESTFILE field .01 is a pointer to another file, then the “DOE,JOHN” can’t be the internal value in the .01 field.  “DOE,JOHN” could be in the .01 field in the file TESTFILE is pointing to.  And, yes, you should be able to have a unique number in field 2 be a KEY to TESTFILE.  If I recall correctly just tell FileMan when you create a new-style cross-reference on field 2 that you want it to be a unique key.