Sowinski, Richard J. wrote:
>What I see happen when you have control characters in Globals is that when
>you try to display the global, it reeks havoc with your screen.

This is an issue with your display device and user interface (or lack of one)
when working
with roll-and-scroll on dumb terminals. We addressed this issue in VMACS over
20 years ago
by taking over display management and using tools for development that render
the control
codes displayable. Unfortunately, it is not easy to adopt such a solution in
small steps...

There is a nearly identical problem in working with web applications where data
may
contain angle brackets and other character that are like control characters in
HTML. In
order to maintain the integrity of dynamically generated web pages, you have to
use tools
that filter out such characters when they would break the display or take it
out of the
intended control of your applications. M2Web includes some powerful tools for
handling
this sort of thing.

>I have seen M applications written specifically with control characters in
>the globals to be executed later.

A highly efficient technique for generating and working with forms on dumb
terminals is to
compile all the fixed parts into strings with the controls embedded so that at
run time
you simply write the strings to paint the forms. All graphic renditions such as
bold,
reverse, colors, etc and cursor positioning etc are taken care of ahead of time
so it's
very simple and fast when interacting with the users.