From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 10:51 PM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] Development Study: Haste Makes Waste

I have I heard this before as an aphorism with a lot fewer word but exactly
the same meaning.  As I recall,  I heard Rick Marshall pass it on as a quote
from someone else about what happens when you add more programmers to a
project.

On Monday 03 October 2005 05:23 pm, Greg Woodhouse wrote:
>From today's ACM Tech News:

"Development Study: Haste Makes Waste"
Computerworld (09/23/05); Hayes, Linda

A recent study has found that increased funding has little impact on
the overall quality of a project. Qualitative Software Management's
estimation product, known as SLIM, provides an empirical analysis of a
variety of projects addressing IT, real time embedded systems, and
engineering. Offering accurate project estimation has been a
long-standing but elusive goal of the software industry. In repeating a
study it had conducted in 1996, SLIM confirmed that the delivery
difference between a large team and a small team was only 12 days; that
result came partially because large teams created more than six times
the number of errors as small teams. Large teams failed to deliver
significant improvements in cost, time, or quality, widely recognized
as the three major metrics of software development. The SLIM study
confirmed the theory that adding more resources to a project yields
diminishing returns. The efficiency of small teams is fostered by an
atmosphere of intimate collaboration, and the information produced does
not take as much time to sink into each member of a smaller team. The
diminishing quality stems from the absence of a holistic view of the
project when it is broken down into compartmentalized segments and
distributed to each member of a large team; this approach can lead to
errors and complications that arise from cobbling together bodies of
code written by different authors not in communication with each other.

<http://www.computerworld.com/developmenttopics/development/story/0,10801,104
846,00.html>

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Without the requirement of mathematical aesthetics a great many discoveries
 would not have been made."

-- Albert Einstein