Fred Brooks was a hopeless optimist.

===
Gregory Woodhouse

"One must shy away from questionable undertakings,  even when they have a high sounding name."
--Albert Einstein

On Oct 4, 2005, at 5:29 PM, Ben Mehling wrote:

On 10/4/05, Nancy Anthracite <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
I have been trying to recall, but I think it is something like doubling the
number of programmers quadruples the time it takes to complete the
project ...or something like that.

On Oct 3, 2005, at 10:51 PM, Nancy Anthracite wrote:
> I have I heard this before as an aphorism with a lot fewer word but
> exactly
> the same meaning.  As I recall,  I heard Rick Marshall pass it on
> as a quote
> from someone else about what happens when you add more programmers
> to a
> project.

I'm going to guess you're thinking of the 'classic' book Mythical Man-Month?

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

- Ben