> Clearly, large software projects can be daunting, and clearly it is not
> enough simply to know a language and a DBMS. There is a LOT more that
> goes into making projects succeed. Sadly, though, in softwre
> engineering, we do not take the technical side of the discipline nearly
> as seriously as we should, the invetiable result being poor quality and
> high maintenance costs.

The problem is that software engineering is still viewed as something
like writing a novel rather than building a bridge.

No business shmuck from Stern university would even consider trying to
build the Verrazzano Bridge, while they think knowing of sticking their
nose a mile deep into engineering an industrial strength banking or
hospital system.

Ruben