On 4/7/06, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I tried to give a complete explaination in the readme in JIRA
> > Harmony-318.  It would be great if you could tell me what this
> > document is missing or where it is unclear.
>
> Ok, I'll take a look.  I think this adapter work is very important, it
> would be good to discuss problems/progress on the dev list too.

Aha!  Let's now discuss the problems on the dev list:

I added a bunch of VMxxxxx.java files to
kernel/src/main/java/java/lang/   These files are only needed for GNU
Classpath compatible JVMs.  Should we keep these files in this
directory or should we create a separate directory?  It might make
sense to create
kernel/src/gnuclasspathadapter/java/java/lang/VMxxxxx.java

GNU Classpath needs unique "pointer" classes.  We could put them at
kernel/src/gnuclasspathadapter/java/gnu/classpath/Pointerxxxxx.java

Thoughts on the above?

> > Actually I could not get JCHEVM/cygwin to read the JAR files.
>
> Is that an issue with JCHEVM or the JAR files do you think?

I think JCHEVM/cygwin inability to read JAR files is one of the
problems that will go away if you ignore it.  In other words, someone
has probably already fixed this problem in the latest download of
JCHEVM.  Its not a biggie.  I can wait.

> > I am working with a 2 month old copy of Harmony Classlib.  I would
> > like to hold off the move to current Harmony Classlib until after I
> > get the cygwin dlopen() problems solved.
>
> Ah, ok -- I'll try and do the timeshift thing, but if there are fixes
> that are required in Harmony classlib to make things work/easier for you
> they will be applied to the current HEAD, and we can discuss what is
> required for them to work in your local sandbox.

So far, the biggest thing has been where to put the new kernel files.
The next item is likely to be the tool chain that the make files are
using.  I worry that there is incompatiblity between *.dll's built for
GNU Classpath environment and *.dll's built for Harmony Classlib.  It
would be good if JNI compilant Windows *.dll's can plug-and-play on
both Harmony and GNU Classpath environments.  I suspect Cygwin
environment is involved.  Do you know if anyone has looked at this
issue yet?

> > I modified System.java to do a "VMRuntime.nativeLoad("hynio.dll");"
> > This is a call into GNU Classpath JVM that will cause a DLL to be
> > loaded.
>
> (Two months ago:) IIRC there is an explicit call to
> System.loadLibary("hynio") in the class libary code, so why do you need
> to make that into a Classpath-specific call?

I checked just now.  I can't find evidence of hynio.dll being called
in the version of Harmony Classlib kernel files I have.  In any case,
when kernel_path is moved to the latest version of Classlib, the code
that currently tries to loead hynio.dll should be replaced with the
correct stuff.

> Regards,
> Tim
>
> --