Hello All,

I'm investigating the possibilities of migrating Harmony tests from JUnit/Directory layout to TestNG while reviewing all the related thread in mailing list. And I will try to answer the open issues. To make things simple, I will post the issues one by one. ;-)

Question: How to handle bootclasspath tests?

IMHO, I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to use TestNG groups to differentiate the "bootclasspath" tests and "classpath" tests.

If we put "bootclasspath" and "classpath" tests in the same directory, and use TestNG groups to differentiate them. When we want to run the "bootclasspath" tests, we have to put all tests in bootclasspath including the "classpath" tests. I don't think it's a good approach. And I cannot find any ways to compile the java sources from one directory into several different directories (ANT or Eclipse). So I suggest we put bootclasspath tests and classpath tests into different directories.

But if we think putting all tests into bootclasspath is not a problem, we may have a workaround: running bootclasspath and classpath tests in separate tasks. I mean:1) Running bootclasspath tests with all tests in bootclasspath 2) running all classpath tests with all tests in classpath

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is sample of how to launch TestNG in ANT:

       <testng outputDir="${testng.report.dir}"
               sourcedir="${test.src.dir}"
               haltOnfailure="true"
               verbose="3"
               jvm="${HarmonyVM}/bin/java"

           <bootclasspath>
               <pathelement path="../bin/tests.boot" />
           </bootclasspath>
<classpath>
               <pathelement path="../bin/tests" />
           </classpath>
           <xmlfileset dir="." includes="suite.xml" />
       </testng>

Thanks for reading this far. ;-)

--
Richard Liang