Pavel Pervov :
My alternative follows:

1) Each component which exports magics, provides JAR file with class
implementing these magics. Class name is described in (e.g.) Main-Class
attribute of JAR's manifest.
2) The class contains java fast path for helper, and a pair of native
methods: one for fast-slow path, and one for slow-slow path.
3) Fast-slow path helper can have any (supported) calling convention.

4) Slow-slow path helper will be called through JNI - it is regular native
method.
> way and generate call to slow_alloc in annotated calling convention. If JIT
> does not support magics at all, it'll call jni_alloc in usual way - as
> regular call to native Java method.

Helpers are neither called as JNI methods nor they are called through the JNI.

Or do you propose to make a code for the helpers as the JNI methods?
How would the 'jni_alloc(Address class, int size);' look like in the C code?

  Alex

The example follows:
----------------------
package org.apache.harmony.vm.helpers;
// Annotations follow here, which describe which method is which helper,
// and which is fast-path, fast-slow path, slow-slow path
class GCv6Helpers {
   // fast-path allocation here
   public static Address alloc(Address class, int size) {
       // ...
   }
   // annotation, describing calling convention for fast-slow path
   public static native Address slow_alloc(Address class, int size);
   public static native Address jni_alloc(Address class, int size);
}

Now, if JIT supports magics, it'll process GCv6Magics::alloc in a special
way and generate call to slow_alloc in annotated calling convention. If JIT
does not support magics at all, it'll call jni_alloc in usual way - as
regular call to native Java method.

Yes, my idea suggests to change helper retrieval interface for JIT, but we
already started to make significant changes to architecture - let's just
make them more generic.

Regards,
   Pavel.

P.S. IMHO, this approach combines strong sides of Mikhail's and Pavel's
ideas, as it use standard mechanisms of resolution and search of methods in
loaded classes.