It was brought to my attention that when you Googled the word 'Jew,' the
antisemitic hate site, Jew Watch, comes up as the top result on what is beyond
a doubt the most frequently relied upon search engine in the world.
Apparently, troubled by his recent discovery of this fact, a staff reporter at
San Francisco's j. magazine brought this matter to the attention of Google's
executives, who showed little more than indifference towards the revelation.

The reality is that many people do research and get their facts by doing a
Google search or like search engines.  I personally have been brought to
anti-Semitic/biased web sites unknowingly through using Google and the fact
that the Google executives were indifferent to this occurrence is disturbing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?  I feel we have a
responsibility to at least tell our patrons to question the validity of
information they find on the web.  Perhaps we can come up with a list of
not-so-obvious biased web sites.

Who knows, this may bring people back to using more traditional library
resources!

Thanks,

Amy Stempler
I. Edward Kiev Judaica Collection
The George Washington University
Washington, DC
(202) 994-2675

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries

Submissions for HaSafran, send to: Hasafran at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: Listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: galron.1 at osu.edu
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/