A Final Report from Anna Olswanger, Chair
Out-of-Print Books Task Force

I'm glad I got to meet some of you at the convention in Boston.
Earlier in the year I had notified Linda Silver that I would have to
relinquish the chair of the Task Force. I explained that my overall
professional goal remained the same: to help bring more good Jewish
books for kids into the world, but in 2005, I became a literary
agent, and that job is now demanding my focus.

I'm happy to report that the new Chair of the Task Force is Norman
Finkelstein. For the moment, Norman will be following the procedure
we established in 2004, and followed in 2005, to pursue the reissue
of favorite out-of-print books: Soliciting regular "wish lists" from
AJL members, contacting the old publishers with AJL's
"bring-the-book-back-into-print" request, contacting the authors to
suggest that they take advantage of the Authors Guild Print-on-Demand
program to reissue their book, and at the end of the year, sending a
list of the year's "Back-into-Print Wish List" to publishers known
for republishing out-of-print children's books.

Norman want to do things differently, so look for his announcements
on Hasafran.

I have enjoyed working with AJL on this project. Unlike many
publishers, who champion a book because it makes economical sense,
AJL members champion books because it makes intellectual and
emotional sense for the children they work with. I find that
reassuring in our "product-driven" book world.

I hope everybody has a good summer.

May we soon see an end to the bombings in Israel.

Anna Olswanger
--
Anna Olswanger, Literary Agent
Liza Dawson Associates