Dear colleagues,

I have posted the minutes from the 2016 AJL RAS Cataloging Committee meeting on
the AJL RAS Cataloging Wiki
(http://rascat.pbworks.com/w/page/117519816/AJL%20RAS%20Cataloging%20Committee%20Meeting-2016).
  Thank you, Lenore Bell, for taking and writing up the minutes for us – I am
very grateful.

One issue from the meeting that has not yet been resolved is the question of
the romanization of initial consonant clusters in foreign loan word of Greek or
Latin origen, such as Deramah/Dramah, words beginning with pesikh/psikh, etc.,
as well as pesefas/psefas.  The members of the AJL RAS Catalog committee need
to vote on whether or not to change the policy of following Alcalay in such
cases.  Section 6 of the 2016 meeting minutes reports on the discussion of this
issue that took place at the committee meeting.  The archive of the email
discussion of this issue is at
https://www.mail-archive.com/heb-naco@lists.osu.edu/msg00389.html

On page 19 of Hebraica Cataloging RDA, under Foreign Loan Words, it is written:
“The first sheṿa in a foreign loan word with an initial consonantal cluster is
generally treated as a sheṿa naḥ. For correct romanization it is necessary to
consult Even-Shoshan and Alcalay on a case-by-case basis.”

Should we add a line to the manual stating that Alcalay should not be followed
in cases of foreign loan words of Greek or Latin origin.   Should all initial
shevas in such words be considered to be silent shevas?  Or is there some other
principle by which we should determine if the initial sheva is silent or vocal
for these words?  Are there any foreign loan words of Greek or Latin origin for
which we would not want to treat an initial sheva as a silent sheva?

I would like to open the “floor” for any additional discussion on this matter,
prior to calling for a vote on the proposal to change the policy of following
Alcalay in cases of foreign loan words of Greek or Latin origin.

Sincerely,
Jerry Anne Dickel (chair)