From: Marjorie Gann via Hasafran
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 11:46 AM
To: Hasafran (hasaf...@lists.service.ohio-state.edu)
Subject: [ha-Safran] Seeking titles of Controversial Books on
Arab-IsraeliConflict

Hello, Safranim,
I am working on a presentation -- a spinoff from a session I gave at the 2019
AJL Conference-- on anti-Israeli propaganda in novels and memoirs for children
and young adults. I am concerned that some books extremely hostile to Israel
may be in use in schools.
I am aware of one school in the U.S. in which Elizabeth Laird’s A Little Piece
of Ground, with its toxic anti-Israel message and its demonization of Israeli
soldiers, has been used for class study.
I was wondering if anyone else on this list might be aware of the use of this
or other anti-Israel books in schools (or in public readings for children) in
the U.S. or Canada. Below you’ll find my list of some of the titles which,
following detailed analysis, I’ve found to contain factual errors, distortions
of history, or instances of demonization and stereotyping of Israel or
Israelis. If anyone is aware of the use of any of these books,  or of public
controversies surrounding the use of these or any other anti-Israel books, I’d
appreciate your contacting  me off-list at marjoriega...@gmail.com.
Thank you.
Marjorie Gann
Children’s and YA Novels or Memoirs which contain distortions of the
Arab-Israeli conflict:
Elizabeth Laird:  A Little Piece of Ground (2003)
Anne Laurel Carter:  The Shepherd’s Granddaughter (2008)
Deborah Ellis:    Three Wishes:  Palestinian and Israeli Children Speak (2004)
                                The Cat at the Wall (2014)
Cathryn Clinton:               A Stone in My Hand (2002)
Michael Morpurgo:        The Kites are Flying! (2009)
Ibtisam Barakat:               “Marked for Destruction,” in several anthologies
                                            Tasting the Sky: A Palestinian
Childhood (2007)
William Sutcliffe:              The Wall:  A Modern Fable (2013)
Randa Abdelfattah:         Where the Streets Had a Name (2008)
Naomi Shihab Nye:          Habibi (1997)
Leila Abdelrazaq:              Baddawi (2015)
Anthony Robinson & Annemarie Young:  Young Palestinians Speak:  Living Under
Occupation (2017)
Golbarg Bashi:                   P Is for Palestine: A Palestine Alphabet Book
(2018)
Leanne Lieberman:         The Book of Trees (2010)
Pamela L. Laskin:             Ronit & Jamil  (2017)

--
Marjorie Gann
Latest Book: Speak a Word for Freedom: Women against Slavery

"An inspiring collection of those who have fought and continue to fight against
the evil of slavery and an effectively solemn reminder that slavery remains a
global plague." Kirkus

"A powerful indictment of human rights abuses and tribute to the women who have
fought them." Starred review, Publishers Weekly

Five Thousand Years of Slavery,
                            by Marjorie Gann and Janet Willen
                            Tundra Books, 2011

A 2012 Notable Book for a Global Society, Children's Literature and Reading
Special Interest Group, International Reading Association

ForeWord Reviews Book of the Year, 2011 Silver Winner, Young Adult Nonfiction

 Visit our website, www.gannwillen.com, to steal a peek at both books!