Dear Mrs. Kinberg,
It goes without saying that students at the impressionable age need to learn
about both  sides.  The challenger becomes clear when it is unsupervised
reading, like  when the book is  a part of the summer reading and the teacher
does not dedicate time for discussion on each book.  The conflict is so
complicated that one lesson of 45 minutes is not enough. Unfortunately most
public school teachers and even Jewish educators  have minimal knowledge of the
Israeli-Arab conflict.
Does the  reader about the “Palestinian child whose only experience of Jews is
as fully armed soldiers” know about the child that will remain disabled for the
rest of her life because of a bomb on the bus ?
This is not the place for discussion on  the Israeli Arab conflict. The books
on the list below   (I’m nor familiar  with all)  are not balanced for sure. I
underhand  Marjorie’s concerns that some books used in  PUBLIC schools are
extremely hostile to Israel.
I hope to hear from Marjorie when she completes her research,
Amalia Warshenbrot

Dear Marjorie Gann,
I appreciate your close look at books for young readers about Israel and the
Palestinian people, and your invitation to comment.
In my work as librarian at Temple Beth Emeth in Ann Arbor, I have curated a
collection of books for young Jewish people that includes diverse Palestinian
points of view and I am pleased that our library offers diverse points of view
from Jewish, Israeli, and Palestinian writers that help our young people become
critical thinkers. My library includes, several books on your list:
The Cat at the Wall (2014)
Naomi Shihab Nye:  Habibi (1997)
Golbarg Bashi: P Is for Palestine: A Palestine Alphabet Book (2018)
Leanne Lieberman, The Book of Trees (2010)
Pamela L. Laskin, Ronit & Jamil (2017)
I was surprised that you called several titles "distortions of history or
complicit in stereotyping or demonizing," specifically Tasting the Sky (which
is on my to order list), Habibi, and Ronit and Jamil. I would appreciate seeing
a list of titles from a Palestinian point of view that you would recommend.
I'll never forget a lecture I attended by Marc Tessler, author of the massive A
History of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, when he told the story of a
several year convening of Jewish and Palestinian historians in which the
participants never came to agreement on the facts.
Last year I taught our high schoolers a class on looking at points of view in
Jewish and Palestinian children's books on Israel/Palestine. The class was
wiser than me at the time. They pointed out that readers should not expect
books to be "fair" and "balanced," particularly when involving difficult
issues. Rather, readers should expect and be aware of bias.
I hope you understand that I am not saying the Jewish narrative we are familiar
with is false, but it leaves out the Palestinian experience. A book including a
Palestinian child whose only experience of Jews is as fully armed soldiers may
be a true reflection of a Palestinian child's experience. It's our crucial (and
even sacred) responsibility as educators to fill out the picture, but
suppressing pieces of it that are truthful within their own sphere doesn't help
children who need to deal with a complex world when they grow up.
I also have had the experience of being asked by a public school teacher who
had assigned A LITTLE PIECE OF GROUND, to teach a class on the book. That was a
very challenging experience, as I was tempted to try to give a lecture on the
whole Israeli/Palestinian conflict.
I am very interested in hearing from others about experiences applying the
values of critical reading of these books in the public school setting.
L'shalom,
Clare Kinberg, Temple Beth Emeth Library, Ann Arbor, Michigan

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 11:46 AM Marjorie Gann via Hasafran