From: Heidi G Lerner <ler...@stanford.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 2, 2023 6:02 AM
To: hasafran@lists.osu.edu <hasafran@lists.osu.edu>; Rac, Katalin
<katalin....@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: [ha-Safran] Question about Ethiopian-Israeli author Daniel Belete
or Baltha

Hi Katalin,

This can be tricky because he writes  in both Hebrew and Amharic, I would
follow this instruction since he writes in two non-Latin script languages:

If a name is found in more than one non-preferred script, transliterate it
according to the scheme for the original language of most of the works as noted
in RDA 9.2.2.5.3.

Looking at his website
"https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://beletebooks.co.il/**I/*__;15LXnNeo15nXlC8!!KGKeukY!zcjDg22Iw8RK_6fKcfIq6AJ3ltBHUx72CUkBbdn78Ou6j5PvvDGw_3moc1kOD7g0hSaoEb0TvugDW2SPVUwVmGA$
 "; it appears that more of his books are in Hebrew than Amharic.

So: I would establish his name according to the Hebrew, with variant form(s) in
needed in Hebrew and Amhari. If you find a form also in Latin script that
changes things a bit: if you find a complete form in Latin script that complies
with one of the guidelines in LC-PCC PS 9.2.2.5.3.

Based on the above, I would establish the name as
Belete, Daniel, 1969- (based on romanized form found in Wikidata)
With references from:

  1.  Beleṭeh,  Daniyel, 1969-
  2.  בלטה, דניאל, 1969-
  3.  2. AlA-LC systematic romanized form of Amharic form of name
  4.  3. Amharic form of name

These are just my thoughts. Perhaps my colleagues have found a better
alternative?

Best, Heidi Lerner

Heidi G. Lerner

Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica Emerita, Stanford University
Libraries