On Jan 2, 2013, at 4:24 PM, Никитин Лев <leon.v.niki...@pravmail.ru> wrote:

> Well, we can say "concepts" in place of "theory".  And I'm comparing Eiffel
> with other OOP lang, not with some langs based on a solid math theory (lambda
> calcules for FP langs, for example). ok?

I agree that there are certain concepts, or ideas, that Eiffel is built on. If
that is what you meant, sure, I have no problem with that.

Of course, there are plenty of languages based on some specific ideas. For
example, take the following concepts: 1) it's better to do something instead of
failing, even if it doesn't make any sense; 2) global is better then local; 3)
for every feature that can be implemented in two ways there should be a switch
that the user can set as xe wishes. Implement these as fully as possible — and
you'll get PHP.

So, somehow I doubt that being based on some set of ideas is a very strong
selling point.

> BTW. Why you think that Eiffel type system is unsafe?

Well, if I remember correctly, if you call some method of a certain object, and
this call compiles, you can't be certain that this object actually has this
method. Could be that this object belongs to some subclass which removes this
method.