Paul Hudak wrote:
ok wrote:
What is so bad about

    f x = g x''
      where x'' = x' + transform
            x'  = x  * scale

(if you really hate inventing temporary names, that is).
There's nothing at all wrong with this, assuming it's what you meant to type :-), and it might even correspond perfectly to the mathematical notation used in some textbook. But I would argue that this example is pretty simple, and that if there were a lot of xs and x's and x''s then the chance of making a typing mistake is greater, I believe, than if you had used x, xscaled, and xtransformed. (On the other hand this is all pretty subjective... :-)

OMG! "Mathematical" and "subjective" in the same sentence! ;-)

Personally, I find that if I've got more than 2 of the thing, I number them rather than attach multiple primes... but that's just me.