Thanks to all of you. The suggestions work like a charm. Very nice.

I still need to digest the advices, but have already one further question: How would I compute the new value based on the 2 (or even more) last values instead of only the last one?

[ 2, 3 , f 3 2, f((f 3 2) 3), f ( f((f 3 2) 3)  f 3 2)), ...]

(background: I am doing explicit time stepping for some physical problem, where higher order time integration schemes are interesting. You advance in time by extrapolating based on the old time step values.)

I guess I just wrote the definition and define iterate2 as

iterate2 history =
     case history of
         []   -> error "no start values"
         x1:x2:xs   -> iterate2 ([f x1 x2] ++ xs)
or

iterate2 :: [Double] -> [Double]
iterate2 history =
     case history of
         []   -> error "two start values needed"
         x1:[]   -> error "one more start values"
         x1:x2:xs   -> iterate2 (history ++ ([f a b]))
            where [a,b] = take 2 $ reverse history

however,I don't get it this to work. Is it possible to see the definition of the iterate function? The online help just shows it's usage...

Again thanks a lot for your ideas and the links. I knew there was a one-liner for my problem, but I couldn't find it for days.

Axel