On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Axel Gerstenberger wrote:

Thanks to all of you. The suggestions work like a charm. Very nice.

I still need to digest the advices, but have already one further question: How would I compute the new value based on the 2 (or even more) last values instead of only the last one?

[ 2, 3 , f 3 2, f((f 3 2) 3), f ( f((f 3 2) 3)  f 3 2)), ...]

(background: I am doing explicit time stepping for some physical problem, where higher order time integration schemes are interesting. You advance in time by extrapolating based on the old time step values.)

You might be interested in some ideas on how to solve differential equations numerically in an elegant way:
 http://darcs.haskell.org/htam/src/Numerics/ODEEuler.lhs