Bill Wood wrote:
On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 11:19 +0000, Andrew Coppin wrote:
   . . .
...and normal programmers care about the Fibonacci numbers because...?

Seriously, there are many, many programmers who don't even know what Fibonacci numbers *are*. And even I can't think of a useful purpose for them. (Unless you count Fibonacci codes?)

Knuth[1] pp. 417-419 discusses Fibonacci trees and Fibonacci search.
According to Knuth (and who am I to argue with him) Fibonacci search has
better average case running time than binary search, although worst case
can be slightly slower.

Cormen et. al.[2] devotes chapter 20 to Fibonacci heaps, which they say
are of primarily theoretical interest.

[1] Donald E. Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, vol. 3, second
edition, Addison Wesley Longman (1998).

[2] Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest and
Clifford Stein, Introduction to Algorithms, second edition, The MIT
Press (2001).

Mmm, today I learned something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_heap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_search

It seems that at least the latter actually involves the Fibonacci numbers, rather than merely having "Fibonacci" in the name. [That was going to be my next question...]