Daniel Fischer wrote:
Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
Daniel Fischer wrote:
For many hashing or de/encryption algorithms, chunking is more natural
than single-character access.

Even when the chunk lengths are unpredictable? After all, unlike with
fread  in C, you can't request the next chunk to have a certain length
with Iteratees.

Well, I just gave an example where one would want chunking for reasons other than performance. That iteratees don't provide the desired functionality is a different matter.

For performance reasons, one would still be likely to want the I/O to happen in larger chunks than the processing, so it's kind of moot.

Yes, I/O should happen in chunks, but I thought that the Enumerator implementations could buffer I/O while still presenting single characters to the Iteratees.

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com