> On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Simon L Peyton Jones wrote:
> > For these
> >
> > > * multi-parameter type classes
> > > * existential types
> > > * exceptions
> > > * mutually recursive import [GHC does this ok]
> >
> > we'll have a shiny new GHC beta release before ICFP (end Sept).
> > (I.e. it's pretty much working now.)  Don't know about Hugs.
>
> My understanding from Alastair was that Hugs was being synchronized with
> GHC so that it could using precompiled GHC libs.  Wouldn't that require
> that it support these features as well?

The doubt was about when Hugs would do another release
or maybe about when we'd do a release of the merged system.

> (I has also assumed that a perl-like "eval" function would then
> become part of GHC/Hugs -- but that may have been unwarranted)

We have no specific plans to add something like that - though
it'd obviously be nice. (There's a lot of things on the list
of things we'd like to do but have no time for at the moment.)

> > > * module signatures/dynamic linking
> > > * dynamic linking (serialization/persistence?)
>
> > I'm hazy about what you have in mind here.
>
> I saw module signatures on your todo list for 2.0 and was not sure to
> what it referred.  I was thinking it was short-hand for fixing the Haskell
> module system:

Module signatures is just being able to write:

  module Foo
        ( foo :: Int -> Int
        , bar :: Float -> Float
        , data Foo = MkFoo Int Float
        ) where

nothing to do with dynamic linking.  I'm sure the standard haskell
pages describes this.

> * mutual recursive imports

Haskell has these, Hugs doesn't.

> * import-chasing as part of the spec

This is an environment feature not a language feature.

What does it mean for GHC?
Are you wanting to do away with Makefiles?
Makefiles can do an awful lot more than import chasing can
 and GNU makefiles are very, very short in the normal case.

--
Alastair Reid              Yale Haskell Project Hacker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://WWW.CS.Yale.EDU/homes/reid-alastair/