On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Alastair Reid wrote:
> > My understanding from Alastair was that Hugs was being synchronized with
> > GHC so that it could using precompiled GHC libs.  Wouldn't that require
> > that it support these features as well?
>
> The doubt was about when Hugs would do another release
> or maybe about when we'd do a release of the merged system.

Ok.  So what is the Hugs schedule?

> > (I has also assumed that a perl-like "eval" function would then
> > become part of GHC/Hugs -- but that may have been unwarranted)
>
> We have no specific plans to add something like that - though
> it'd obviously be nice. (There's a lot of things on the list
> of things we'd like to do but have no time for at the moment.)

I understand.  Actually the ratio of externally visible tasks to manpower
makes me a little nervous.

> Module signatures is just being able to write:
>
>   module Foo
>       ( foo :: Int -> Int
>       , bar :: Float -> Float
>       , data Foo = MkFoo Int Float
>       ) where

Ok.  Then I'd still like to campaign for a more scalable module system.

> > * mutual recursive imports
>
> Haskell has these, Hugs doesn't.

Until when?

> > * import-chasing as part of the spec
>
> This is an environment feature not a language feature.
>
> What does it mean for GHC?

Well Java compiles, but nevertheless does import chasing.
It uses the classpath to hunt down the compiled classes to which it should
link.

> Are you wanting to do away with Makefiles?
> Makefiles can do an awful lot more than import chasing can
>  and GNU makefiles are very, very short in the normal case.

Both Java and Eiffel attempt to do away with Makefiles.
Java does import chasing (see above).  I prefer Eiffel's approach.
Eiffel allows you to define an Assembly of Classes in Eiffel in which
you explicitly specify where to find all the classes used in a particular
cluster -- making it easier to do version control of executables (see
http://eiffel.com/doc/manuals/language/intro/system.maker.html).

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson                   i2x Media
1-212-697-0184 voice                    1-212-697-1427 fax