People seem to be forgetting the long-standing tradition of Algol (60),
Fortran (66, 77, 90) and, no doubt, many other fine languages in their
use of 2-digit year qualifiers.  98/99 sounds good to me.

>On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>>
>> * Incidentally, I'm leaning towards 'Haskell 98' as the name.
>
>  Was it Bill Gates that suggested this to you? :-)
>
>At 12:00 +0100 98/09/08, Stephen H. Price wrote:
>> a) Haskell 1998 would be more appropriate in the light of Year 2000
>>    problems.
>
>Probably in order to avoid Haskell 2000 being confused with Haskell 1900. :-)
>
>Otherwise, since it is rather late this year, it should be called Haskell
>1999. Those that use it will feel the next year that they have an
>up-to-date version.
>
>  Hans Aberg
>                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>
>                  * AMS member listing: <http://www.ams.org/cml/>

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.