> So we can decide to do one of two things:
>
> 1.  Try to keep the Haskell mailing list as a low-traffic list, to which
>   many, many people subscribe.  Under this model, one might *start*
>   a discussion on the Haskell list; but after a few exchanges, move the
>   discussion to comp.lang.functional, or perhaps a high-traffic Haskell
>   list (haskell-discuss?).  Rather like coastguard radio, where one starts
>   on Channel 16, but moves to another channel to converse.
>
> 2.  Accept (even rejoice) that the Haskell mailing list is becomming a
>   high traffic list, and accept that people will drop off.  I, for one, will
>   probably drop off soon. Maybe another low-traffic list will start.

I think, the natural thing is to have more than one mailing
list.  I already proposed to have `haskell-help' or some
such for newbie questions.  It may also be time for
`haskell-announce' - a list where only announcement of
system, library, and tool releases are made.  I wouldn't be
happy about evading to a news group (I personally, don't use
news anymore for quite a while, because mailing lists are
just better[1]).

The big question is, how to group the new lists.  How about
the following?

  haskell-users    - newbie questions & general discussion (like the
                     referential transparency stuff etc)
  haskell-announce - for announcements
  haskell          - non-basic discussions (low traffic)

What do you think?

Manuel

[1] People don't think much longer before they send of a
    mail to a mailing list, but I have the feeling at least
    a little longer than before sending to a newsgroup.
    (And there is not so much of a spam issue.)

PS: I don't have a problem with setting up
    comp.functional.haskell, of course, but, IMHO, it
    shouldn't influence the decision about the mailing
    lists.