[hm.  should this discussion move to -cafe?]

On Feb 8, 2008, at 20:15 , Jonathan Cast wrote:

On 8 Feb 2008, at 4:43 PM, Dan Weston wrote:

Ouch. How would a human parse [apple'*'pear]

In this context, `parse error, tricky syntax'.

I kinda have that problem anyway given ' being permitted in identifiers at all. Given that I expect it now, the above isn't a whole lot worse (I've already parsed (token "apple'") when I hit the (token "*'"), the only question is whether the extension in use attaches the ' to the operator or to the following identifier.

(Although I would assume the latter if I ran into it without prior knowledge, based on ' normally being a word-identifier character when it can't be a Char literal.)

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]