On Aug 20, 2013, at 10:44 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> While quickly trying to
> find a FOSS alternative I ran into a nice overview
> http://moo.nac.uci.edu/~hjm/HOWTO_move_data.html

We looked, we tried, we really did. I spent a few weeks digging into GridFTP
and udt, and we have used (maybe still use) bbcp in-consortium. The combination
of requirements -- XNAT authorization, straightforward client installation,
clean browser integration (because most of our users don't want to write a
script just to download files), and needing it all working quickly -- pushed us
to Aspera. I'd love to have analogous FOSS infrastructure for XNAT generally,
but I think that's at least a year of work (and not on anyone's to-do list).

>> There are a couple of additional data access methods that we'll be
>> implementing down the road.  Working with the INCF, we'll be making the
>> data accessible over INCF Dataspace.  We will also be putting the packages
>> up on the Amazon cloud.
>
> that would be great!  Whenever initiating S3 repository for that please
> enable "versioning"... will it be available via HTTP?

The Q1 data was put up on S3 for the OHBM hackathon -- if you have opinions on
how HCP data should be organized on S3, it would be good for you to take a
look. Start from
https://wiki.humanconnectome.org/display/DataUse/ConnectomeDB%2C+pyxnat%2C+and+the+OHBM+Hackathon
 (an earlier iteration of the pyxnat-ConnectomeDB tutorial that I sent earlier,
including some details about the S3-hosted data) and let us know what you
think. If you didn't sign up for the hackathon, you might not have access:
you'll have to sign the HCP Data Use Terms if you haven't already and then I
guess contact Nolan Nichols <nolan.nich...@gmail.com>, who seemed to be the
hackathon point person for the Amazon stuff.

  - Kevin

The material in this message is private and may contain Protected Healthcare
Information (PHI). If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance
on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via
telephone or return mail.