The surface grayordinates simply don’t exist in a 3D cartesian space, they
exist on a 2D surface mesh made up of triangular tiles and their neighbors
are determined by the topology of that mesh.  Most vertices have six
neighbors, but a very few have 5 (also those along the medial wall may
have fewer valid neighbors for a different reason).  You find the
neighbors of surface grayordinates by looking at the topology section of a
GIFTI surface file.  The first data array of a GIFTI surface file are the
3D coordinates of each vertex, the second data array are the topological
relationships between the vertices that form each triangular tile.
Individual subject standard mesh surfaces may have different 3D
coordinates across subjects, but always have the same topology and hence
are said to be on the same mesh.  It is this standard mesh that is the
equivalent of a standard voxel grid in volume space.  We provide the
command wb_command -surface-geodesic-rois that you can use to find the
nearest surface vertices within some number of mm of a given vertex.
There is the command wb_command -surface-geodesic-distance which you can
use to compute the distances between a vertex and the rest of the surface
(you can limit this to a max distance to speed it up).  Finally, there is
the command wb_command -cifti-export-dense-mapping that will tell you
which grayordinate indices correspond to which surface vertex indices or
subcortical voxels.  Perhaps one or more of these will address your
request.

If for some reason you need to know about an individual subject’s voxels,
you can work with the data before it has been resampled to grayordinates
space and then resample any results to grayordinates space after you’re
done (however you’ll want to be sure you are only working with voxels
inside the greymatter ribbon).  You’ll also need to be careful you don’t
accidentally average across subjects in volume space or smooth the data in
volume space.  At some point we’ll make it possible to completely reverse
the grayordinates projection (e.g. go from group average results in
grayordiantes space to individual subject native or MNI volume space), but
this has not yet been a high enough priority for our developers, as most
people don’t need to run their analysis in that direction.

I’ll be honest that despite your lengthy e-mail, I’m not really clear what
you are doing and hence why you need what you are requesting.  If you
don’t want to post sensitive details in public, you can e-mail me off the
list.  If you don’t want to tell me specifically what you’re up to, I’m
more limited in my ability to help.

Peace,

Matt.