Back on this other question, wb_command indeed does not do decimation of
the "remove vertices from existing topology" variety.  The usual way to do
surface downsampling with wb_command is to generate a new sphere with the
desired number of vertices (and highly regular topology/spacing), and then
resample data and anatomical surfaces to it from the current sphere (which
uses a set of weights at each vertex, computed from the location and
topology of sphere vertices).

As such, the mapping between vertices on old and new topologies is
many-to-many, with real-valued weights.

Tim