It is possible to get a center of gravity of a surface ROI, but it is more
involved (and doesn't result in a vertex).  We don't really use ROI
centers, as the entire ROI is generally more informative.  See:

https://www.mail-archive.com/hcp-users%40humanconnectome.org/msg02495.html

With the commas removed, as in "-44 40 29" (without the quotes), the
command should have worked, regardless of how far from the surface the
coordinates are.  I tried it with a random surface I have and those
coordinates, and got a vertex number in the output file, on both linux and
mac.  I am adding more help info and error messages to better indicate when
the format of the file is not what is expected.  For completeness, I have
attached a file that has the coordinates in the expected format.

Tim