On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 4:12 PM, John Griffiths <j.davidgriffi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Tim.
>
> Thanks for the detailed response.
>
> So you're saying group-representative coordinates are a difficult issue.
>
> For present purposes I would be ok with just individual subject native
> space coordinates from this parcellation.
>
> I'm still not clear how to get these.
>

> By way of context, I have a set of ROIs from HCP resting fmri data that I
> obtained using
>
> wb_command -cifti-parcellate rfMRI_REST1_LR_Atlas.dtseries.nii Gordon333_
> FreesurferSubcortical.32k_fs_LR.dlabel.nii COLUMN  parc_ts.ptseries.nii
>
> which gives me 352 time series.
>
> What I'm after now are the coordinates of the vertices/voxels (and ideally
> also text labels) that contributed to each of these time series ROIs.

Individual subject coordinates work fine, whether native or MNI space.  It
sounds like you want to know which vertices are in each area, and the
simplest way to get there is to use -cifti-separate to generate left and
right hemisphere gifti label files (use -label, and extension .label.gii) -
the arrays that these files represent have the same number of elements as
there are surface vertices, and they are in the same order.  Use
-label-export-table or -file-information to get a listing of the label
names and their key values (and rgba colors).  For instance, if the label
table says that "R_V2" is key "4", then every element in the array in the
gifti label file that equals 4 is part of "R_V2".

The coordinates are in surface files (.surf.gii), along with the
connectedness information (triangles).  If this poses a challenge to load
and examine the coordinates with whatever tool you want to use, you can use
-surface-coordinates-to-metric to convert just the coordinates to a
3-column .func.gii file.

> The BALSA repository that I got the parcellation from included amongst
> other things the following files
>
> Gordon333_FreesurferSubcortical.32k_fs_LR.dlabel.nii
> S900.L.inflated_MSMAll.32k_fs_LR.surf.gii
> S900.R.inflated_MSMAll.32k_fs_LR.surf.gii
>
> The dlabel file is size 1x91282
>
> The surf gii files contain surfaces of with 32492
>
> Am I to assume / supposed to know that something like the first 32492
> elements of the dlabel file
> correspond to the left hemisphere surface, the second 32492 to the right
> hemisphere surface, and
> the remaining to the subcortical voxels?

CIFTI files do not have a section that maps 1-to-1 to vertices, they have
the ability to exclude vertices from a surface, which we use to exclude the
medial wall (our standard cifti space has about 29,000 vertices of each
hemisphere represented in the file, out of 32,492 vertices in the matching
surfaces).  The -cifti-separate command takes care of this for you.  See
wb_command -cifti-help for more information.

> But actually I know this can't be the case because in the first 32492
> elements of the dlabel file there are
> 194 unique values, and in the second 32492 elements there are 174 unique
> values. That said, the first
> two blocks have lots of shared entries, so the total number of unique
> labels does sum up to the correct
> number, more or less. But many are in both the first and second blocks.

You did get fairly close to the actual layout, with ~3000 vertices being
treated as the wrong hemisphere, and ~6000 subcortical voxels being treated
as part of one cortical hemisphere.  If most of the values are reused, then
maybe this parcellation didn't use separate labels for left and right
hemisphere?  We have a way to fix this, and I thought we used it to try to
release only files that split the labels by hemisphere.