AnimalVoicesNews

P.S.  Contrary to the companys' or FDA's "instructions," DON'T throw the
food/treats away or return them, particularly if you and/or your pets become
ill.  You may need the evidence if a legal action becomes adviseable.  Keep
the receipts too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
Link:  http://www.fda.gov/cvm/MenuFoodRecallFAQ.htm

Pet Food Recall Frequently Asked Questions
Updated April 2, 2007

Q: What is being recalled?

The following companies have initiated voluntary recalls of their pet food
products:

On March 16, Menu Foods, Inc. recalled dog and cat foods produced at its
facilities in Emporia, Kansas and Pennsauken, N.J. between December 3, 2006
and March 6, 2007. The products are sold by many different distributors
under a number of different brand names. A full listing of all the recalled
products can be found at http://www.menufoods.com/recall/   The affected
products are moist (packaged in pouches) and canned diets. The products have
been described as ³cuts and gravy² style pet foods.

On March 16, 2007 -- Nestlé Purina PetCare Company announced that as a
precautionary measure, it was voluntarily withdrawing its 5.3 ounce Mighty
Dog® brand pouch products that were produced by Menu Foods, Inc. from
December 3, 2006 through March 14, 2007. On March 30, Nestlé Purina PetCare
Company voluntarily recalled all sizes and varieties of its ALPO® Prime Cuts
in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/purina203_07.html  Consumers can call
1-800-218-5898, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CDT or visit
http://www.purina.com/ to receive more information.

On March 30, Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc., voluntarily recalled Prescription
Diet m/d Feline dry food
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01599.html . The cat food is sold
exclusively through veterinarians. Consumers can contact Hills at
1-800-445-5777 or visit http://www.hillspet.com/ for more information.

On March 31, Del Monte Pet Products voluntarily recalled select product
codes of its pet treat products sold under the Jerky Treats ®, Gravy Train ®
Beef Sticks and Pounce Meaty Morsels ® brands as well as select dog snack
and wet dog food products sold under private label brands
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/delmonte03_07.html  A complete list of
affected brands and products can be found at
http://www.delmonte.com/petfoodrecall.html  Consumers can contact Del Monte
at 1-800- 949-3799 for further information about the recall.

Please see http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html for
additional information.

Q: What is wrong with the pet foods?

FDA laboratories have found a substance called melamine in samples of pet
food and in the wheat gluten used as an ingredient in the pet food.
Additionally, Cornell University scientists have found melamine in the urine
and kidneys of deceased cats that were part of a taste testing study
conducted for Menu Foods.

Q: What is melamine?

Melamine is a small, nitrogen-containing molecule that has a number of
industrial uses, including as an industrial binding agent, flame retardant
and as part of a polymer in the manufacture of cooking utensils and plates.
Melamine has additionally been used as a fertilizer in some parts of the
world. It is not registered for use as a fertilizer in the United States.

Q: What is wheat gluten and how is it used in pet foods?

Wheat gluten is a mixture of two proteins obtained when flour of wheat is
washed to remove the starch. One use of wheat gluten is as a filler and
binder in wet-style, cuts-and-gravy-type pet food.  It provides a gelatinous
consistency and is used to thicken pet food "gravy."  It also has uses in
human food products as a stabilizer or thickener. It is not generally
associated with food contamination.

Q: Has melamine been identified as the causative agent in the reported
illnesses?

The association between melamine in the kidneys and urine of cats that died
and melamine in the food they consumed is undeniable. Additionally, melamine
is an ingredient that should not be in pet food at any level. However, we
are not yet fully certain that melamine is the causative agent. As in any
investigation, we follow leads, use advanced forensics and try to narrow
down the cause.

Q: What research exists regarding melamine and cats and dogs?

There is a scarcity of research in the published literature on melamine
exposure in dogs and cats. We know of a 1945 published article in which dogs
were administered 125 mg of melamine/kg body weight. The study reported
melamine as having a diuretic effect, but no toxic effects were noted. We
are not aware of any studies in the published literature involving the
administration of melamine to cats.

Q: How did melamine get into the wheat gluten?

At this time, we do not know how the melamine got into the wheat gluten.

Q. Where did the contaminated wheat gluten come from?

We have traced the source to a single supplier, Xuzhou Anying Biologic
Technology, of China.

Q. What is FDA doing to prevent further importation of contaminated wheat
gluten?

FDA is requiring 100% sampling and review of import testing of all shipments
of wheat gluten from China. Please see our import alert at
http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia9926.html

Q. Did the contaminated wheat gluten from China get into the human food
supply?

Import records, and records obtained during follow-up investigations reveal
that all shipments of wheat gluten from the suspect Chinese supplier were
purchased by a U.S. firm that supplies ingredients to pet food companies. At
this time, we have no evidence to suggest that any of the imported Wheat
Gluten from the suspect firm has entered the human food supply.

Q. Have you traced all of the contaminated wheat gluten?

We are still tracing the contaminated wheat gluten. If we learn that it has
been used in the production of other pet foods, we will notify the public
and take all appropriate steps to prevent further injury.

Q: What is FDA doing in response to complaints of illnesses related to dry
pet food?

FDA is collecting and analyzing samples of dry dog and cat food in response
to calls from veterinarians and pet owners.

Q: Are only dog and cat foods involved in the recall?

Yes. The recall is only confined to pet food intended for dogs and cats.

Q: What should I do if I have cat or dog food at home?

Please check FDA¹s website at
http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html to see if your pet food
is involved in the recall. If your pet food is not listed, the pet food is
not affected by the recall and you can continue to feed it to your pets;
however, if your pet exhibits a sudden on-set of symptoms including loss of
appetite, lethargy, vomiting, stop feeding the pet food and contact your
veterinarian. If the pet food is one of those being recalled, do NOT feed it
to your animals. Feed your pets another pet food that is not included in the
recall.

Q: What should I do if I have cat and/or dog food included in the recall?

Do NOT feed the pet food to your animals. Return the pet food to the store
where you purchased it and ask for a refund. Stores generally have a return
and refund policy when a company has announced a recall of its products. If
you cannot return the pet food immediately, store the food in a secure place
where pets and children cannot get to it.

Q: What if my pet ate one of the dog and cat foods being recalled?

If your pet shows signs of illness (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and
vomiting), you should consult with your veterinarian immediately. ³The
American College of Internal Medicine (ACVIM) has recommended that pets
(dogs and cats) that ingested pet food that was on the recall list, whether
showing signs of illness (lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, etc.) or
not (asymptomatic) should be seen by their veterinarian for baseline blood
chemistries and urinalysis in order to ascertain the status of their renal
(kidney) function. (The ACVIM is the Official Organization of the Veterinary
Specialties of Small Animal Internal Medicine, Large Animal Internal
Medicine, Cardiology, Neurology, and Oncology. http://www.acvim.org/  ).²

If your pet is diagnosed with renal failure, we suggest you hold onto the
food if the brand and lot numbers match the recall.

Q: If my dog or cat ate some of the recalled food, how soon after would I
see any symptoms?

It¹s difficult to say for sure, but usually within a couple of days. The
important thing is to monitor your pet closely for signs of lethargy, loss
of appetite and vomiting. If your pet shows any of these signs, please
consult your veterinarian.

Q. In light of the recall, what should I feed my pets?

FDA encourages pet owners to consult with their veterinarian about their
pet¹s health and nutrition requirements. Please refer to the FDA website
http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html for a list of recalled
products that should not be fed to cats or dogs. Using products from
companies that are not on the recall list will enable you to continue to
provide safe, wholesome nutrition for your pets.

Q: What if I took my dog or cat to the vet as a result of the recall and I
want to be reimbursed for my vet bills?

The FDA recognizes that there may be financial costs associated with any
veterinarian visit; however, reimbursement for veterinary care does not fall
under FDA¹s regulatory authority.

Q: What is FDA doing about the recall?

*    FDA has dedicated each of its 20 district offices to this investigation
and approximately 400 + employees are involved in sample pet food
collection, monitoring of recall effectiveness, and preparing consumer
complaint reports.
*     At least 3 field laboratories are directly involved in active sample
analyses and each field laboratory is highly capable and standing by to
conduct additional analyses as needed.
*     FDA's Veterinarians and Toxicologists from the Center for Veterinary
Medicine and elsewhere in the agency have been researching potential
causative agents, analyzing possibilities, evaluating scientific and
analytical information, and guiding and supporting the overall efforts.
*     FDA is working with its regulatory partners in all 50 state
agriculture and health agencies to inform them of the status of the
investigative and analytical efforts.
*   FDA's Emergency Operations Center remains activated and is managing the
incoming information from pet owners and veterinarians and others, and is
making sure the information gets to our scientists and inspection teams.

Q: What if I want to report an adverse action about a pet food?

Consumers and veterinarians who wish to report adverse reactions or other
problems can go to the FDA internet page at
http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html to obtain contact
information for the FDA complaint coordinator in their state. When reporting
an adverse event or complaint, please try to have the following information:

*     Brand name, lot numbers and UPC code for the pet food fed to your dog
or cat when it was ill. A lot number is a separate number assigned to each
production lot of product. These are typically stamped on the bag/pouch or
on the can lid. Lot numbers usually consist of a series of letters and
numbers.
*     If your pet received treatment by a veterinarian, the name, address,
and telephone number of attending veterinarian
*     Date illness first noticed
*     Signs displayed
*     Any veterinary reports available

Q: What advice do you have for veterinarians concerned about this pet food
recall?

Veterinarians who have case files and post mortem results relative to cases
where renal failure is involved and the clients were feeding food involved
in the recall are encouraged to contact FDA through the complaint
coordinator in their state
http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html. FDA is gathering as
much information as possible to identify the nature and the extent of the
problem.

Q: How does FDA regulate pet food?

The FDA's regulation of pet food is similar to that for other animal feeds.
The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) requires that pet foods,
like human foods, be pure and wholesome, safe to eat, produced under
sanitary conditions, contain no harmful substances, and be truthfully
labeled. In addition, canned pet foods must be processed in conformance with
the low acid canned food regulations to ensure the pet food is free of
viable microorganisms (see Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part
113). There is no requirement that pet food products have premarket approval
by FDA. However, FDA ensures that the ingredients used in pet food are safe
and have an appropriate function in the pet food. Many ingredients such as
meat, poultry, grains, and their byproducts are considered safe ³foods² and
do not require premarket approval. Other substances such as mineral and
vitamin sources, colorings, flavorings, and preservatives may be generally
recognized as safe (GRAS) or must have approval as food additives. (See
Title 21 CFR, Parts 73, 74, 81, 573 and 582). For more information about pet
foods and marketing a pet food, see FDA¹s Regulation of Pet Food and
Information on Marketing A Pet Food Product.

Q: What are the labeling requirements for pet foods?

The FDA regulations require proper identification of the product, net
quantity statement, name and place of business of the manufacturer or
distributor, and a proper listing of all the ingredients in order from most
to least, based on weight. Some states also enforce their own labeling
regulations. Many of these regulations are based on a model provided by the
Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). For more information
about AAFCO, please visit its website. There are two documents on CVM¹s web
site that provide more details about labeling requirements: Interpreting Pet
Food Labels and Interpreting Pet Food Labels -- Special Use Foods.

Q: Have there been other recalls involving pet foods?

Yes. The following are recent pet food recalls: In February 2007, FDA
advised consumers not to feed Wild Kitty raw cat food to their pets
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01562.htm after Salmonella was
detected during routine testing performed by FDA. Wild Kitty eventually
recalled the product
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/wildkitty02_07.html. In December 2005,
Diamond Pet Foods initiated a voluntary recall after aflatoxin was
discovered in its product
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/diamond12_05.html. For information on
other pet food related recalls, please see
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petfoods.htm.

Q: Is this the largest recall ever of pet foods?

It is hard to quantify the size of this recall or compare it to some of the
other recalls in the past; however, it is a significant recall.

Q: How many sick or dead cats and dogs have been reported to FDA?

To date, the agency has received over 10,000 complaints. Confirmation that
these may be related to the pet food recall takes time and requires follow
up by our field staff. Veterinary reports and other evidence need to be
collected for each case before any of these reports can be confirmed. In
many instances there is insufficient information available to draw a
conclusion about a possible association with pet food consumed and pet
illness or death. The FDA¹s primary concern is in identifying the source of
the contaminant, assuring that the recall is effective and providing
information to the public.

Q: Why can¹t FDA confirm the number of animals affected?

Unlike human food there is no surveillance network for FDA to rely on to
confirm cases. FDA must investigate each complaint and confirm whether or
not the pet food was involved.

Q: Is there any evidence of human illness that may be linked to exposure to
contaminated gluten and the recalled pet food?

No. As a precaution, FDA asked the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to
utilize its surveillance network to monitor for signs of human illness
related to the recalled pet food. CDC surveillance has not shown an increase
in renal failure, which is the most likely health outcome that would be
expected from this exposure .

Q:What about the aminopterin? Is this latest finding in addition to
aminopterin?

FDA has not been able to confirm aminoptrein in samples it has tested.

Q:How do you account for why NY State found aminopterin but FDA didn¹t?

Our labs were not able to verify aminopterin. At this time, we cannot
comment of the methodology or findings of NY State.

Q:Are you working with any other organizations?

As we said previously we are working with Cornell University. Additionally,
Banfield the Pet Hospital, has reached out to FDA¹s Center for Veterinary
Medicine and volunteered to provide us with any reports/data.  The FDA is
very appreciative of the Banfield information as it helps us in assessing
the extent of the outbreak; however, it is only one piece of the puzzle and
we must consider it in light of all of the other information we are
gathering.  We have been exchanging information with the American Veterinary
Medical Association in order to ensure that it is providing accurate
information to its members on how to report adverse events to the agency.
Companies that sell pet food have also been very helpful and one company in
particular has shared its independent testing results.

Q:Are you seeing this more in cats than dogs?

We are getting reports of illness in both dogs and cats. However, the
evidence we¹ve seen from the initial consumer complaints and from the Menu
Foods taste tests indicate that cats appear to be more affected than dogs.

Q: How do you dispose of the wheat gluten and contaminated pet food?

With recalls, the firm will propose what to do with the product. Disposal
options may include landfill, incineration or industrial uses.

Web page updated by mdt - April 3, 2007, 12:46 PM ET