Long-term:
In Hibernate - use seperate caches which you have done for 3.3
Not quite true. What I have done so far is to introduce this possibility. What happens right now is that there is only a single RegionFactory implementation which simply "bridges" to the old CacheProviders. Or perhaps what you meant was "separate caches" = "separate regions", as opposed to "separate cache instances"?

I mean to allow for separate behavior/underlying cache for each type of "things" we need to cache.

From Hibernate's perspective that requires the changes you have done.

For JBoss Cache that apparently requires more changes ?

In JBoss Cache - as it stands now you would have to use differnt jbosscache configurations. In older versions of JBC you would need different treecache.xml; but that has been simplified in later JBC's AFAIK - Manik/galder ? Depending on this and wether optimistic locking is a global or node level-and-down setting users might need some less or more complex "writing jbosscache config files
for hibernate" examples ;)
I think this is going to depend exactly on the different configuration options/parameters that need to get applied to the cache instances used by the different Hibernate regions (of course until we have the capability to natively configure these per region within JBC).

Yes this is a JBC "configuration issue" as far as I understand.
Would just be good to have a somewhat decent default configuration file/template
to include with hibernate.

Max Rydahl Andersen
callto://max.rydahl.andersen

Hibernate