Sorry about jumping in on this so late, just back from vacation and still ploughing through backlog.

1) 2.0.0.GA will not be out for a while. Planning a long CR run and coinciding GA with JGroups 2.5, circa early June.
Then this is a big problem.  I expect 3.3 much sooner than that...

4) Steve, re: the TM issue, how could we delegate this to a strategy? At the moment we register Synchronizations directly with the TM. Are you suggesting that Hibernate injects the strategy into a JBC instance and the JBC instance registers the Synchronization there instead of the TM? If this is so, does a strategy implement any standard interface so as not to couple JBC and Hibernate?
They are already coupled. What I had suggested was that JBC define an interface/strategy against which it actually registered its synchs (another conceptual possibility here would be to rely on the new TransactionSynchronizationRegistry added in JEE5; but then we'd need to include it separately for pre-JEE5 environments). Of course, standard JBC strategy behavior would be for it to register synchs against the TM. However, as a configuration option, Hibernate could inject a different strategy through which it could handle registration of the JBC synchs such that it could then manage ordering of execution.