On Thursday November 6 2008 11:10:25 pm chris wrote:
> I have created a new hint for "installing the dpkg package manager" on LFS
> 6.3.  The directions for actually submitting the hint are somewhat vague
> and I can't figure out how to submit my attachment file so that I will know
> its URL and can list it at the top of my hint (it's a config file, not a
> patch).  The link to the "attachments" page from the "hints submission"
> page is also invalid.  The word "attachments" should be capitalized in the
> URL.
>
> thanks,
> chris <topher.whee...@yahoo.com>

Your attachment would end up in:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/ATTACHMENTS/dpkg/
assuming that "dpkg.txt" is the name of your hint file.

You may want to note that a similar hint (now obsolete or unmaintained) is at:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/OLD/apt.txt

If I remember correctly, the apt.txt hint was moved to OLD/ because it was
both unmaintained and also no longer worked with recent LFS versions.

If your hint was developed completely independent of the apt.txt hint, I don't
know the LFS Hint's protocol... normally when an old hint is taken over the
original author would remain in the AUTHOR field, and the license would
remain. If your hint is independent, I'm not sure if it should take a new
name, such as dpkg.txt, or if it can take the previous name of apt.txt. I
prefer reusing the apt.txt name for historical reason (svn history). Maybe
someone could enlighten me on LFS Hint protocol in this case.

robert