It doesn't help that Sony is run by a megalomaniac who insists on
giving the PS3 8 cores even though the designers believed having only
6 would be more practical/efficient.

To get something done right it generally needs to be collaborative.
Take open source software and Valve as examples. Anyways, I'm sure
there are some real PS3 developers reading this mailing list now that
valve have stolen some PS3 devs from Naughty Dog.