I looked around a bit and found nothing that can be used to trigger
entities from plugins. The code for I/O is in the game libraries, but no
interfaces appear to be exported for use in server plugins.

If you're making a plugin for a specific mod and the authors are
willing, you can ask for new interfaces to be added to allow for it.
They'll need to allow access to g_EventQueue to enable triggering.

The only possible alternative i see is calling CBaseEntity::AcceptInput.
This is a virtual function, so it's callable.

You can get the CBaseEntity pointer through some of the interfaces, but
there is no guarantee that every mod has that function in the same place
in the class's vtable.

If you're willing to experiment and make mod-specific configs then this
may be your only other option. I suggest looking into SourceMod to find
out how to call this function, since they've probably got the code for
it already.