He should just analyze his darn network traffic to see if there is an attack taking place at all, then try to filter the packets. If that doesnt work then neither wont anything from Valve's side, on which I wouldnt count anyway given the daily crashes on my servers which they are unwilling to fix. At best they are only going to break more parts of srcds in their miserable attempts at fixing things.

But lets face it, you just cannot run a service smoothly with an ongoing attack.
You have to fight the cause and not the symptoms.

Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 17:58
Subject: Re: [hlds] Improved engine handling of server queries ?

Well if it stays in that mode until restarting, then it IS a denial of
service attack.

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Saul Rennison <saul.renni...@gmail.com>wrote:

You can't help it. Tradeoff some players not being able to connect for
your server not going down.

On Monday, 31 January 2011, steve grout <steve.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since valve tried to do this we're still having issues if we do not > hide the servers. Where as before the server was under attack it used to timeout for everyone it now, so it seems, just stops responding the the ping (still can be queried using status). That's great in that is doesn't kill a game however one side effect is that, when the server goes into this 'mode', if
someone should have a network problem and disconnect for any reason, they
cannot rejoin the server, in fact no one can join the server until it's been
restarted.

> This happens on both our windows and linux servers. Are other people
experiencing the same thing?

Thanks,
 - Saul.