Hi Milton

Your mail below was very informative, but I tested this and observed some discrepancies.

For the -steamport argument, the port seems to be whatever you specify +1.

For example:

On the command line I had;
        -steamport 26011

What netstat says is actually in use;
        26012

I tried other combinations and it was the same. Always the port is incremented by 1. This causes obvious problems. Fortunately, even Valve keeps the default on this one in the 26000 range, rather than the 27000 range, so this isn't too likely to be an issue as long as it won't trample on itself -- I've not actually tried that yet.

FYI, the game I am using is TF2. I don't know if other games might use other ports for this. The default here seems to be udp 26901.

FYI, this is the last port to appear and won't show up until the server has fully loaded and the line, "VAC secure mode is activated.", appears.

Finally, loading the info via "+exec server01.cfg, per your recommendation, did not work at all. The default ports were used anyway. I tried a seperate config file and the main server.cfg file.

For my testing, I started the server manually like so;

sudo -u hldsuser $SRCDSDIR/srcds_run -game tf +map ctf_doublecross -ip 0.0.0.0 +clientport 27099 +hostport 27199 +tv_port 27299 -steamport 26098 -norestart -pidfile $HLDSHOME/server.pid

+clientport +hostport and +tv_port appeared to work as you described.

Milton Ngan wrote:
You can control the client, host and tv port using convars on the command line.

+clientport<portnum>
+hostport<portnum>
+tv_port<portnum>

(or alternately placing these into a config file that is refernced via +exec on
the command line)

Steam also uses a port that will auto-increment, but this is controlled from
the command line option: -steamport

e.g

srcds_run -game cstrike +clientport 27005 +hostport 27015 +tv_port 27020
-steamport 26001

or

srcds_run -game cstrike +exec server01.cfg -steamport 26001

server01.cfg:
        clientport 27005
        hostport 27015
        tv_port 27020

We do this a lot with left4dead servers in forked mode. The ports numbers are
too close to one another to run a lot of instances before they overlap, which
causes problems.