Yes, I think it's a Steam problem. See the No steam login [sic] thread.

-----Original Message-----
From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Anthony
Stoyanov
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 2:43 PM
To: hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds_linux] Lag spikes

Hey,

For a couple of hours now (15-16) there are strange lag spikes in my
servers. Every 5-6-7 minutes, server (& players) freeze for 1-4 seconds.
2 machine -> 2 different providers -> same problem. The machines are fine,
no flood, ping's fine. My only logical explanation is that they're all
connected to steam and that's causing the spikes.