You seem to be upset with TF2 for requiring a certain amount of people to
take on certain tasks. You want to be able to experience 100% of the
content regardless of it's intention, delivery, or challenge. This seems
like you just want more free stuff for your free game, this is good, it's a
sign that you really like this game and you're frustrated you cannot
experience everything about it because you must rely on the public to help
you. I can understand that's... sometimes unfortunate, but at the same time
you cannot hold this against Valve/TF2.

I'm not sure what exactly you're expecting for TF2 anymore. I mean think
about what you've gotten and how it stacks up to any other multiplayer game
you've ever played:

- TF2 came out in 2007 (you cite Borderlands 2, when the first Borderlands
came out in 2009)
In this time there have been: a lot of -free- updates. Over 5 years of
constant support, new game modes, new maps, new voice actor lines, new
models, new weapons, new hats (hooray??), more features, different entire
game modes. All of these things have been provided for free, because some
people really like those $100 rings.

- TF2 is now -free-, 100% free
THERE ARE STILL CONTENT UPDATES. This is what really blows me away. This
game is 100% free, this entire event was 100% free. Sure you can say the
event sucks but why have any events... ever really? CoD doesn't have
Halloween events and it seems to be quite fine without them. I'm not sure
Halo has any kind of achievements unlocking new weapons, or new maps coming
out (for free).

- Not everyone wants to play by themselves.
I think the fact that you need at least x players to do something is kind
of neat - it's not something you see in a lot of other video games, and I
mean.... is this really a big deal? It's ONE map during ONE week of TF2,
and unless you've been sucked into the trading meta-game (that is
cheapening TF2) there isn't anything you 'get' out of this. Then again when
I started playing TF2 5 years ago, there wasn't anything to get at anytime.
You say that 32 man servers show you can take an idea too far, but what is
to stop that argument from being flipped on it's head. Why does VALVE get
to tell me how many players I should max out on? If one can say 32+ is too
many, I'm comfortable in saying you need 6 to do MvM, unless you regularly
are able to 1-man MMORPG bosses or L4D runs I don't see why this is such a
strange restraint.
(Also side note: what is the challenge in hitting the tank? The challenge
comes in splitting your attention, the tank itself is easy but it REQUIRES
time, REQUIRES damage. If you  have to concentrate on stopping a tank or
stopping bomb progress what do you do? That question is the reason tanks
exist. They are not difficult on normal, but then again the Normal
difficulties are pretty easy.)

- Perhaps TF2 is reaching the end of it's idea threshold
So MvM isn't some perfect MAN VERSUS MACHINE SHOWDOWN, it's more of a
really fancy set of maps and AI logic and hacked up missions. I explain MvM
as a super polished SourceMod plugin - and that's a blast. It's a shame it
takes up a literal 32 man server, but expecting them to completely change
bots/AI behavior within their game at this point in it's lifetime just
doesn't many any sense - there is no financial motive unless they plan on
re-releasing it as some paid addition. You can't just edit SoldierBot.cs
and set useRocketJumps = true.
After 5 years perhaps TF2 should just be enjoyed for what it is, instead of
being reliant on every holiday update bringing with it more fun. Remember
how fun cp_dustbowl was on launch day? It's still that fun, you've just
come to expect more, a lot more.

My advice is: don't cater to quickplayer. They are users that just mashed
"PLAY NOW" and most times have no loyalty to the place they show up at.
Take your server off quickplay - get a community of players together that
still like TF2 for what it is. If you cannot get those people together,
then perhaps your community has moved on from TF2 and Quickplay users were
just the band-aid hiding this wound.

TF2 is a bunch of fun but it has become a very different game over its
lifetime. I agree with your sentiment that the updates now don't feel as
"fun" as they used to, but I also see that I have around 2,000 hours of
game time in TF2, and I think that's just a lot of time to spend on one
thing in general.