I've seen this before but it's been so long I have no idea what is causing this. I have a brand new clean fresh HLDS install via steamcmd. I start it:

./hlds_run

And I get:

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Unable to initialize Steam.

Since when is Steam required to run HLDS? More important, what am I missing? I vaguely recall it was a lib version problem, but don't remember the details. Is my distro too new to run hlds, or is my kernel too new?

Slackware 14.1, 3.10.17 kernel